Tuesday, July 17, 2007

Paganini



The library at UCSD has an enormous collection of sheet music, and I was able to find scores of Paganini that I didn’t even know the existence of! They basically have all (or at least a good number) of these compositions that he played for such and such queen or such and such special event, and which you can read about in his biographies, but I had always thought that the manuscripts were lost, if there ever were manuscripts. Apparently however this is not the case! So I could copy some of the scores which, let’s be honest, I will probably never play because it does look quite unplayable, but just for the sake of completeness, I should have the Sonata Maria Luisa (on the G string tuned to B) on my bookshelf. Here in Colorado they don’t have that many scores, but still have a good selection. I should be able to copy Ernst’s concerto… And I might even rent some cheap violin or buy one on craigslist. Now, that's great.

No comments: